SCRATCH +RSC is the Magic Mix to making code simpler, fun and easier to learn.
Curriculum changes make coding a matter for all teachers not just for ICT Coordinators. Primary, Secondary and FET teachers will have to integrate elements of coding as a modern teaching methodology. This is true especially for teaching and learning maths. Scratch +Ready-Steady-Code is the magic mix that makes coding simpler, fun and easy for all to learn. All who work with children or youth are invited to the 2nd National Scratch Conference on Tuesday 19th June, in the Ardboyne Hotel, Navan, Co. Meath to get your introduction to SCRATCH +Ready-Steady-Code. Book online below and make sure your School, Centre, Cluster, Library, Club or CoderDojo is represented.
Attendees of the Conference will Receive
- an engaging, hands-on and easy to follow introduction to SCRATCH+ Ready-Steady-Code
- age-appropriate workshops for adults working with children 5 to 15 years old and higher
- An easy approach to Computational Thinking with SCRATCH+ Ready-Steady-Code
- a Ready-Steady-Code pack to take back to your staff, containing books, wall charts, great resources and a Scratch mug
- the mug that will arouse curiosity and get talk about Scratch and coding into the staff-room conversation
- (an Muga Scratch) Is féidir ríomhchlárú i Scratch trí Ghaeilge agus tá muga ar leith le Scratch in nGaeilge — an muga a chuireann cód sa chomhrá sa seomra foirne. Bí ann.
- The 2nd National Scratch Conference 2018 is again generously funded by County Meath Local Enterprise Office and Meath County Council and is supported by Navan Education Centre.
- The day will consist of 3 workshops each following an introduction. The group will divide for hands-on workshops appropriate to the three age groups 6-8, 9-12 and 14 years and upwards. The day will end with a closing discussion.
- The Conference underpins the goals of the Department of Education and Skills’ “DIGITAL STRATEGY FOR SCHOOLS 2015 – 2020 ENHANCING TEACHING”. With a realisation of the need to promote Computational Thinking and Coding for all stakeholders in the wider community in Irish Education we are holding a 2nd National Scratch Conference in June 2018.
- The Conference will also underpin the key objectives of Pillar 1 of the CREATIVE IRELAND PROGRAMME which states: “by 2022 every child in Ireland will have access to tuition and participation in art, music, drama and coding. The Department of Education and Skills will be a key partner in implementing this pillar.” We hope to be able to announce FÉILE LÉINN na nÓG 2019, a Children’s Learning Festival – a project encompassing art, music, drama, literature as well as coding spanning the school year from September 2018 culminating in the FÉILE in May 2019. (pilotted as an idea through the Resources Development Service c/o Navan Education Centre for its 40th Anniversary in 2013 See www.celebratelearning.ie)
- Sponsors of the 2nd National Scratch Conference 2018 will receive national media coverage and digital media exposure at an inaugural cutting-edge event. Moreover, education systems globally are also focusing their attention on Creative, Computational Thinking as a means of enhancing citizens’ lives now and in the future.
- Sponsors will have the opportunity to display their commitment to the future of Computational Thinking by their association with the Conference, setting up a display area and providing all national and international delegates with a portfolio, digital or otherwise, promoting their mission and vision. Moreover all sponsors will be fully acknowledged in all conference materials and documentation.
- The 2nd National Scratch Conference 2018 is a declaration that Ireland has the opportunity and the capacity to boldly embrace educational advancement in a creative and innovative manner. The future is ‘Now’ and we invite you to be a vibrant part of it by attending the 2nd National Scratch Conference 2018 with your laptop charged and your mind open.
- The registration fee for the day will be €75 (bring a friend at a discounted total for two €120). Fee includes full carvery lunch, tea/coffee breaks, Conference pack with unique RSC SCRATCH training resources and a SCRATCH mug for the staff-room.
Check back here or follow us on Twitter @Scratchlearning for more information on the 2nd National Scratch +RSC Conference, RSC Courses and other events.
The Book : SCRATCH with READY-STEADY-CODE
Buy on-line today
- 120-pages of 70 short, easy exercises for teachers and tutors
- 100 projects with code shared on-line, many with the new grids
- Written by Seamus O’Neill, an experienced primary teacher, Maths author and CoderDojo Club pioneer and mentor
It was launched during Code Week EU 2017 and comes with two free A2-size wall charts; the 10 Palettes and Coding Sums. Cost €20 + P&P.
Click ‘Order Now’ to get your copy.
TRAINING COURSE for your staff or your local school cluster.
€640 for 10 packs, 1 course day (6 hrs + breaks) Extra packs €10.00 each
Courses of three separate 2-hour sessions could be facilitated but would incur extra travel and
expense costs. Contact us if you think we can offer more assistance.
• Suitable for teaching professionals at all levels of education • Purpose: to give an introduction to Scratch, the world’s leading software for learning and teaching Computational Thinking and visual code.
• Pack contents: 3 laminated booklets, one for each 2-hour workshop.
• Extras: 2 large Wall-Charts free in each training pack plus skills attainment checklists and notes on integrating code with Computational Thinking.
Layout and Code
Your Own Games
Code What You Do with
a Pencil in Your Copybook
Code Maths Work
Even at Secondary Level
The book was the perfect follow up. The Grids are excellent. Posters are great for the classroom. Stephanie